Saturday, October 13, 2012

The End Game

I'm...

brushing up on books by Bronte,
climbing through Chaucer classics, 
examining Emerson and Euripides essays, 
playing peek-a-boo with Paine, Poe, and prose, 
studying Shakespeare's soliloquy and sonnets by Swift

... all in pursuit of an "A"!

This semester, I found myself taking two literature courses: ENGL222 {American Literature to 1865} and ENGL240 {Children's Literature}. I am also working my way through a writing class.

Somehow, next semester has shaped up to be very similar with ENGL223 {American Literature after 1865}, ENGL221 {World Literature II}, and ENGL202 {Creative Writing}.

In the last few years, my reading has been mainly education-related.

Assignments involved myriads of highlights, copious amounts of coffee, and mounds of mind-numbing textbooks. Historical reading made me sleepy and grumpy. Mathematical reading frustrated me and made feel as if I was losing IQ points. Science selections found me interested, but after-reading retention was an issue.

To be truthful, many a textbook went only scantily highlighted as a result of being barely read.

Reading for fun seemed like an immense luxury that was relegated to summertime.

As soon as Spring classes ended each May, I would rush to Amazon and catch up on all the books I'd missed. Inevitably, I'd find my Kindle crammed with mystery/suspense novels or "chic lit" musings. I would happily entrench myself in the latest James Patterson or Jennifer Weiner offerings through the summer days and, often, the summer nights too. Last summer, I read 17 books in twelve weeks. Most of them may not have been full of life-changing wisdom, but each of them was entertaining.

I was actually quite happy in my blissful, light fiction world; however, this semester has reminded me that there is something to heavier reading. Assignments don't necessarily have to lead to feelings of angst or rage!

This blog is all about me sharing the little joys I've discover by leaving the comforts of my normal reading niche.

So, get ready, put down your newspaper comics, and "read it like you mean it"!

1 comment: